Are Your Favourite Brands Ethical?

In the initial stages of our business in Australia, we wished to fully comprehend the environment and statistics surrounding the fashion industry. During our research, we were immediately made aware of the fact that there is a colossal amount of exploitation in this line of business.
As we continued to decipher the extensive field that is the men and women’s fashion industry, we unearthed the truth about many well-known brands. These included Quiksilver, Just Group, Myer, David Jones, R.M Williams and Ally Fashion, taken from a study by the Baptist World Aid in 2015.
The researchers gained valuable information from 75% of the companies that responded to this survey about their policies, transparency, supply-chain traceability and workers rights. The remaining 25% of businesses surveyed were graded solely on the information that was publicly available to them.
Here are some of the things we found from brands selling in the Australian fashion industry:
Industry Ethics Inforgraphic

Now guess how much the worldwide fashion industry is worth…
In 2010, the worldwide fashion industry was recorded to be worth a monumental $2560 trillion, while the minimum wage in Bangladesh is $91 per month, an incomprehensible difference.
All it would take is a meagre increase of 30c per t-shirt that is manufactured in Bangladesh for a person to receive a living wage. So why not support the companies that are heavily invested in making a difference, taking advantage of their resources in order to guarantee that human beings are not being exploited. Leave behind those that are attempting to make money off another individual’s misfortune and adversity.
We refuse to exploit another human being in order to make profit; therefore we only use one of the most ethical suppliers in the world for the production of our clothing brand.
We only select suppliers who meet the regulated standards of pay and working conditions, and by doing this we ensure that our business remains ethical throughout operations.
How do we ensure this? Our suppliers are WRAP certified, standing for Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production. They are a not-for-profit organisation that is dedicated to promoting safe, lawful and humane manufacturing throughout the world, with the use of certification and education.
WRAP - Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production
WRAP have 12 principles, these include:
  1. Compliance with Laws and Workplace Regulations
  2. Prohibition of Forced Labour
  3. Prohibition of Child Labour
  4. Prohibition of Harassment or Abuse
  5. Compensation and Benefits
  6. Hours of Work
  7. Prohibition of Discrimination
  8. Health and Safety
  9. Freedom of Association and Collective Bargaining
  10. Environment
  11. Customs Compliance
  12. Security

 

A message from our sponsors:

Be the first to comment